An error in Arches (v. 1.0) installation to Ubuntu
Yasuhisa Kondo
2013-12-03 08:48:06 UTC
Hi all,

I'm a newbie, getting stuck at the installation of Arches 1.0.0 to Ubuntu
12.04 LTS.

I followed the Installation Guide (v. 1.0), with choosing Option 2 (Install
Arches on a Linux Sever) of Step 1 (Install Core Arches) for Deploying
Arches.
The Installation seemed successful until I reached page 21. However, when I
run the script runserver.sh on page 22, the following error occurred.

***@machine:/Arches$ sudo ./runserver.sh
Error: Could not import settings 'Arches.settings' (Is it on sys.path?): No
module named settings

How can I solve this?

For your information: I created the Arches folder in the user's home folder
(i.e. ***@machine:~/).

Best,

Yasuhisa
--
-- To post, send email to archesproject-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/***@public.gmane.org To unsubscribe, send email to archesproject+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/***@public.gmane.org For more information, visit https://groups.google.com/d/forum/archesproject?hl=en
---
Alexei Peters
2013-12-03 18:17:01 UTC
Hi Yasuhisa,
I think the problem may be that you've put the entire Arches repo within a
folder called "Arches" like this:

Arches
--> Arches
--> build
--> db
--> docs
--> install
--> virtualenv

If that's the case, then I'd rename the root folder to something like
"ArchesWeb" or really anything other than "Arches" so that it looks like
this:

ArchesWeb
--> Arches
--> build
--> db
--> docs
--> install
--> virtualenv

For some reason django gets confused when looking for the settings file
when the root folder is named the same as the application folder.
I've seen this issue before on Windows machines and maybe it applies to
Linux based machines as well.

Try that and let me know how it goes.
Cheers,
Alexei

Director of Web Development - Farallon Geographics, Inc. - 971.227.3173

Yasuhisa Kondo
2013-12-06 04:59:08 UTC
Hi Alexei,

Thank you so much for the support. I solved the error by renaming the folder to "ArchesWeb".
I'd like to add one more tip: The "sudo" authority was needed for Step 3 and 4 (pages 21–22 of the Installation Guide).

Cheers,

Yasuhisa
Post by Alexei Peters
Hi Yasuhisa,
Arches
--> Arches
--> build
--> db
--> docs
--> install
--> virtualenv
Alexei Peters
2013-12-06 05:57:33 UTC
Hi Yasuhisa,
I'm glad to hear that we were able to help with the installation issue.
I'm in the process of updating our installation documentation and I'll be
sure to include your comments about needing sudo authority.
Thanks for contributing!
Cheers,
Alexei

Director of Web Development - Farallon Geographics, Inc. - 971.227.3173

Post by Alexei Peters
How can I solve this?
For your information: I created the Arches folder in the user's home
Best,
Yasuhisa
--
For more information, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/archesproject?hl=en
Post by Alexei Peters
---
For more information, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/archesproject?hl=en
Post by Alexei Peters
---
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Arches Project" group.
Tudor Cristina
2014-01-12 09:42:47 UTC
Hi! I have a big problem installing Arches on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I
constantly get this error when I enter sudo ./install.sh in terminal :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "install.py", line 63, in <module>
shutil.copy2(os.path.join(here, 'base.py'),
os.path.join(virtualenv_working_dir, 'lib', py_version, 'site-packages',
'django', 'db', 'backends', 'postgresql_psycopg2'))
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 128, in copy2
copyfile(src, dst)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 83, in copyfile
with open(dst, 'wb') as fdst:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/home/cris/ArchesWeb/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/postgresql_psycopg2'

Help me please, I don't know how to solve it!!!
Alexei Peters
2014-01-14 05:52:42 UTC
Hi Cristina,
Please reference my response here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/archesproject/cWEPr3Fg8_8

Also, in the future please only try and post a question in a single thread
as I'd like to keep duplicate questions to a minimum.
Thanks,
Alexei

Director of Web Development - Farallon Geographics, Inc. - 971.227.3173

Unmil Karadkar
2013-12-03 21:51:45 UTC
Thanks, Alexei,

That helped resolve the same error that I got on Gentoo Linux 3.8.13. Every
step prior to this has gone flawlessly on this version, thanks to the
installation guides.

After renaming the base Arches folder to Arches-1.0, I am now getting a
different error from runserver.sh

-----------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "manage.py", line 20, in <module>
from django.core.management import execute_manager
ImportError: No module named django.core.management
-----------------------------

Any ideas on how to fix this?

best,

-unmil.
Alexei Peters
2013-12-04 17:56:21 UTC
Hi Unmil,
Can you confirm that this path exists under your root directory:
virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management

Unmil P. Karadkar
2013-12-04 18:16:56 UTC
Hi Alexei,

Thanks for the response. The path does exist under my Arches folder.

I also tried another change to the runserver and manage.py scripts...
these scripts initially pointed to the default python on my system
(which is v2.7.5, under the /usr/bin tree)... i changed this to point to
the python included within the virtualenv/ENV/bin directory... threw an
equally horrible set of errors but different ones...

-unmil.
Hi Unmil,
Alexei Peters
2013-12-04 18:56:24 UTC
Hi Unmil,
I think the problem lies in the fact that we renamed the root folder.
When installing the virtualenv the activate.sh file get's generated(I
presume) with the path to home/{arches root which was
renamed}/virtualenv/ENV hardcoded within it.
Try fixing the path in virtualenv/ENV/bin/activate.sh to point to the
correct location and see if that works.

Unmil P. Karadkar
2013-12-05 02:17:17 UTC
Hi Alex,

I don't seem to have a file called "activate.sh"... I saw activate,
activate.csh, and activate.fish, and activate)this.py. I changed the
paths in these files, wherever they appeared and ran runserver.sh.

Then, I got the massive crash shown below... It appears that my version
of GEOS may be an issue? I did download and install GEOS according to
the instructions. I remember that the geos configure step did not make
extensions for SWIG, python, php or perl... should I try to force geos
to include these? If so, is SWIG, necessary?

sorry, I'm a python newbie but am proficient in several other
languages... (well, enough to understand python error messages, i hope)

Thanks!

-unmil.

servername Arches1 # ./runserver.sh
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "manage.py", line 32, in <module>
execute_manager(settings)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py",
line 438, in execute_manager
utility.execute()
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py",
line 379, in execute
self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py",
line 191, in run_from_argv
self.execute(*args, **options.__dict__)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py",
line 209, in execute
translation.activate('en-us')
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/translation/__init__.py",
line 100, in activate
return _trans.activate(language)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/translation/trans_real.py",
line 202, in activate
_active.value = translation(language)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/translation/trans_real.py",
line 185, in translation
default_translation = _fetch(settings.LANGUAGE_CODE)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/translation/trans_real.py",
line 162, in _fetch
app = import_module(appname)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py",
line 35, in import_module
__import__(name)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/__init__.py",
line 3, in <module>
from django.contrib.admin.helpers import ACTION_CHECKBOX_NAME
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/helpers.py",
line 3, in <module>
from django.contrib.admin.util import (flatten_fieldsets, lookup_field,
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/util.py",
line 1, in <module>
from django.db import models
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/__init__.py",
line 78, in <module>
connection = connections[DEFAULT_DB_ALIAS]
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py",
line 93, in __getitem__
backend = load_backend(db['ENGINE'])
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py",
line 33, in load_backend
return import_module('.base', backend_name)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py",
line 35, in import_module
__import__(name)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/db/backends/postgis/base.py",
line 5, in <module>
from django.contrib.gis.db.backends.postgis.operations import
PostGISOperations
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/db/backends/postgis/operations.py",
line 8, in <module>
from django.contrib.gis.geometry.backend import Geometry
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geometry/backend/__init__.py",
line 8, in <module>
module = import_module('.%s' % geom_backend,
'django.contrib.gis.geometry.backend')
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py",
line 35, in import_module
__import__(name)
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geometry/backend/geos.py",
line 1, in <module>
from django.contrib.gis.geos import \
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/__init__.py",
line 6, in <module>
from django.contrib.gis.geos.geometry import GEOSGeometry,
wkt_regex, hex_regex
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/geometry.py",
line 15, in <module>
from django.contrib.gis.geos.coordseq import GEOSCoordSeq
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/coordseq.py",
line 9, in <module>
from django.contrib.gis.geos.libgeos import CS_PTR
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/libgeos.py",
line 117, in <module>
_verinfo = geos_version_info()
File
"/export/home/u09/unmil/downloads/Arches1/virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/libgeos.py",
line 113, in geos_version_info
if not m: raise GEOSException('Could not parse version info string
"%s"' % ver)
django.contrib.gis.geos.error.GEOSException: Could not parse version
info string "3.4.1-CAPI-1.8.0 r3892"
Post by Alexei Peters
[...]
Post by Alexei Peters
Hi Unmil,
virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management
Thanks,
Alexei
Director of Web Development - Farallon Geographics, Inc. -
971.227.3173 <tel:971.227.3173>
Alexei Peters
2013-12-05 06:37:52 UTC
Hi Unmil,
I'm afraid that you've run into this bug (
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/20036) because of the version of
django we're using and the latest versions of geos that seem to have the
SVN revision number (the r3892 in "3.4.1-CAPI-1.8.0 r3892") in the GEOS
version info.
A short term solution for you until we fix this more appropriately would be
to replace the old libgeos.py file with the one attached in this email.

The old file can be found here:
virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/libgeos.py

Hopefully this gets you going.

Unmil Karadkar

Alexei Peters
2013-12-05 19:32:37 UTC
Hi Unmil,
Sorry, I guess the file is just called "activate".
Did you get my email from last night with the attached libgeos.py file?
Please reference that email. That should explain the issue you're seeing.

Unmil P. Karadkar
2013-12-05 19:34:47 UTC
I did... I just uploaded it a second ago and the django server started
like a charm... I'm now continuing on to the next steps and trying to
figure out how to get this accessible from my web server...

Thank you so much... I was completely stuck with the problems before and
your immediate responses to my questions as well as the debugging help
has been enormously helpful!! I love the community and look forward to
giving back some day :)

-unmil.
Post by Alexei Peters
[...]
On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Unmil P. Karadkar
Post by Alexei Peters
Hi Unmil,
Can you confirm that this path exists under your root
virtualenv/ENV/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/management
Thanks,
Alexei
Director of Web Development - Farallon Geographics, Inc. -
971.227.3173 <tel:971.227.3173>
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Unmil Karadkar
Thanks, Alexei,
That helped resolve the same error that I got on Gentoo
Linux 3.8.13. Every step prior to this has gone
flawlessly on this version, thanks to the installation
guides.
After renaming the base Arches folder to Arches-1.0, I am
now getting a different error from runserver.sh
-----------------------------
File "manage.py", line 20, in <module>
from django.core.management import execute_manager
ImportError: No module named django.core.management
-----------------------------
Any ideas on how to fix this?
best,
-unmil.
On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:48:06 AM UTC-6, Yasuhisa
Alexei Peters

Unmil P. Karadkar
2013-12-05 19:50:30 UTC
Hi Alexei,

I'll be happy to share my experiences... I am just starting work on what
could be a very high profile project... We are working with the
conservator of the Alamo (it is the most significant building in the
history of Texas) to store her data and potentially extend the interface
to support image-based interaction (for example, clicking on images to
add data, a zoomable Alamo image space or interacting by adding data
layers to the images) .

I'm eager to see whether that will work :)

Thanks!

-unmil.
Post by Alexei Peters
[...]
emails from it, send an email to
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Alexei Peters
2013-12-05 23:30:50 UTC
Wow that sounds like an amazing project! I'm know we'd all be very
interested in seeing Arches extended in ways that we didn't even anticipate.
Let us know how things progress.